MemorandumTo: Employee(s), Student Teacher(s), and Substitute(s)
Re: Implementation of Chapter 77 of the Acts of 2013
Date: March 24, 2014
In September 2013, Governor Patrick signed into law, Chapter 77 of the Acts of 2013, “An Act Relative to Background Checks.” This new law expands on what we as public schools already do with Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) checks. Specifically, it requires a fingerprint-based state and national criminal record check for all school employees. The State Applicant Fingerprint Identification System (SAFIS) MorphoTrust USA IndentGo has been created for implementing this system. Recently, the MorphoTrust has opened a site at the Hilton Garden Inn at 35 Major Taylor Blvd in Worcester to collect fingerprints.
New hires for the 2013-2014 school year are subject to the fingerprint based checks at this time. All other employees, will be subject to the checks at a later time. On our website at, www.baypath.tec.ma.us under “Main Page +”, you will find the Statewide Applicant Fingerprint Identification Services (SAFIS) Program Registration Guide for Pre-K-12th Grade Education (ESE) as well as the SAFIS-FORM-004 How to Change, Correct or Update your National Criminal History Record Response paperwork.
- To register online at http://www.identogo.com/FP/Massachusetts.aspx, select Online Scheduling or by phone at (866) 349-8130.
- You will be required to provide the Southern Worcester County Regional Vocational School District’s ESE Organization Code: 08760000
- Unlike state CORI checks that have no associated fee, individuals will pay a fee to comply with this requirement $35.00 for non-licensed employees and $55.00 for DESE Licensed Professionals (including those with pending applications/licenses).
- Substitutes are school employees under the new law and, therefore, must submit their fingerprints for the state and national checks. If substitute teachers hold educator licenses issued under G.L. c.71, § 38G, they will pay the $55 fee; otherwise, they will pay the $35.00 fee.
- When you have completed your fingerprinting, you will be provided with a fingerprint receipt, a copy of this receipt must be returned to Sue Foskett in the Superintendent’s Office and will be confirmation that the fingerprints were captured.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.